Chin implants are a simple, surgical solution to accentuate the lower third of your face, bringing harmony to your face’s overall symmetry. This small implant, while small, can provide a revamped appearance to your facial structure.
Dr. Sean Younai has perfected the art of chin implants at his offices located in the Los Angeles area. Dr. Younai has just the tools, skills, and experience to create the tailored implant for your unique bone structure. A chin implant procedure is not a “one-size-fits-all” approach. Rather, it is a highly personalized, intensely perfected operation that gives you the jawline you desire. If you would like to discuss how chin implants can create a stronger, more balanced appearance, please schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Younai at his Beverly Hills and West Hollywood locations. To reach our offices directly, please call (310) 275-1971.
A chiseled, defined jawline is a staple to a confident appearance. Across many diverse cultures, women see a defined jawline in men socially dominant and attractive. Developing during puberty, a strong jawline is an indicator of dominant genes. Since the chin is the focal point of the jawline, a “weak chin” can diminish the power of your jaw. However, men aren’t the ones who covet a contoured chin. In studies, men found women with balanced, symmetrical-shaped faces more attractive than those with asymmetrical faces. But, what are we supposed to do if our faces don’t naturally have balanced symmetry because of a weak chin? While exercise and a proper diet can bring balance to your physique, there is no gym or supplement to contour your jawline. To solve this dilemma, Dr. Younai utilizes a chin implant. A chin implant can extend and contour the length, size, and width of your chin, thus filling out your jawline. When given perfectly tailored chin implants, your jawline can project further from your neck, decreasing that stubborn double chin.
- Reduces the appearance of a double chin
- Contours a more defined jawline
- Discreet scarring
- Is completely personalized to match your unique anatomy
- Provides longer-lasting results than other chin augmenting treatments
If you have ever been unhappy with your jawline’s profile, then you may be a perfect candidate for chin implants. Patients interested in chin implants should be healthy, active individuals who are fit enough to undergo surgery. Many people see Dr. Younai after trying dermal fillers to contour their chin. While many fillers can bolster their facial profile, these cosmetic solutions may not last as long as the patient desires. Well, with chin implants, you will receive long-lasting, stellar results. The first step in this journey to a clearer defined jawline is scheduling a personal consultation with Dr. Younai. At your consultation, he will answer your questions about your unique facial features.
During your consultation, we perform a brief physical examination and a new patient intake interview. We will walk through your medical and surgical history and note any medications you are currently taking. Next, Dr. Younai will want to learn about your desired results. Your implant can change the length, width, and orientation of your chin. It takes a skilled plastic surgeon like Dr. Younai to calibrate the right implant based on your measurements. After we have decided on what implant is best for you, we will set a time and date for your procedure. Before you leave our care, we will give you a list of preparatory steps that you should adhere to in the interim.
Preparing for your procedure is just like preparing for any other surgical procedure. You will need to take certain precautions to ensure an optimal operation. Before your operation, we recommend that you:
- Stop smoking – or at least be able to stop a few weeks before your procedure and the entire duration of your recovery. We ask this because nicotine is known to constrict blood vessels and can impede your natural healing abilities.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications. These medications can cause excessive bleeding during your procedure. These include aspirin, ibuprofen, NSAIDs. If you need help with pain management, please ask one of our nurses for assistance.
- Designate a caregiver. We will give you the proper anesthesia for your procedure and you will not be able to drive yourself home afterward.
- Prepare your home. It is best to fill any prescriptions beforehand as well as plan ahead for your recovery process. With a chin implant, the recovery process is simple but you will need to follow our post-operative instructions to ensure proper recovery.
After we administer the anesthesia, Dr. Younai makes a small incision either inside the mouth or hidden under the chin. If under the chin, he will make a small, elliptical incision just under the chin. With the incision made, Dr. Younai gently constructs a pocket in the front of your jaw. This pocket will be where Dr. Younai places the implant. Before inserting the implant, he trims and shapes the implant to your desired measurements. Then, he fastens it in place to your jawbone with titanium screws. Once completed, he sutures the incision closed and wraps your chin with a bandage. In all, the procedure takes between one to three hours.
Recovery & Results
Recovery from your chin implant surgery is straightforward. For the next few days to a week, your chin will be sore and swollen. It will be crucial to keep pressure off your chin. We also recommend patients sleep on their back, so they do not disturb the sutures during their sleep. After the initial pain and discomfort have subsided and the swelling has receded, you will see a more defined, sculpted jawline. You will see how a subtle change in the shape of your chin has given you a stronger, more confident appearance.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
After experiencing the high level of quality and care Dr. Younai and his team are committed to, you might wish to see the same results for other facial features. Many of our chin implant patients also elect to undergo a rhinoplasty. To keep the proportions of the face in balance, chin augmentation is commonly used in conjunction with a rhinoplasty (nose job). This duo creates a harmonious nose-chin relationship.
If you are unhappy with your current chin profile, then chin implants are a great, simple solution to constructing your desired facial contours. With a small, subtle implant, you can see an entirely changed facial appearance because the chin is a pivotal focal point to the entire face.
A weak chin describes circumstances where a chin is underdeveloped at birth or has recessed due to aging. With a weak chin, you can also see a less pronounced jawline. With a weaker jawline, other facial features can appear disproportionate. A strong chin and pronounced jawline are seen as being ideally masculine in many societal circles.
While exercise and dieting can help you lose some of your double chin, double chins can also be the cause of your genetic makeup – something that dieting and exercising cannot remedy. However, with chin implants, a skilled surgeon can extend the projection of your chin and pull the rest of your jawline along too. Chin implants can redistribute the excess tissue of your double chin, leaning out the space between your jawline and neck.
Unlike other cosmetic solutions to a weak or double chin, chin implants offer long-lasting results.
With their intricate, personalized design, chin implants are modeled to look and feel natural. This is exceptionally true if you choose a skilled, experienced plastic surgeon because the implants must be placed correctly. If the implant is contoured incorrectly, it can throw your face’s entire symmetry off balance. After you’ve recovered from your surgery, your implant should feel like any other natural part of your face.
- Grammer, K., & Thornhill, R. (1994). Human (Homo sapiens) facial attractiveness and sexual selection: The role of symmetry and averageness. Journal of Comparative Psychology, 108(3), 233–242. doi:10.1037/0735-7036.108.3.233
- Little, A. C., Jones, B. C., & DeBruine, L. M. (2011). Facial attractiveness: evolutionary-based research. Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences, 366(1571), 1638–1659. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2010.0404
- Hazani, Ron M.D.; Rao, Arun M.D.; Ford, Rachel M.D.; Yaremchuk, Michael J. M.D.; Wilhelmi, Bradon J. M.D. The Safe Zone for Placement of Chin Implants, Plastic, and Reconstructive Surgery: April 2013 – Volume 131 – Issue 4 – p 869-872 DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3182818e6c
- Harris WC, Raggio BS. Facial Chin Augmentation. [Updated 2021 Jul 25]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554506/